Wednesday, December 31, 2014

What If Today Were Your Last? What Would You Do?

Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth. ~Proverbs 27:1

     This is the last day of 2014.  What big plans do you have for the next year?  What are your New Year's resolutions?  Losing weight?  Quitting smoking or drinking?  More exercise?  Spending more time with family and friends?  Trying out new adventures?  Treating people better?  Now, imagine with me, what would you do today on December 31, 2014, if this was your last day on earth?  I know this is a morbid subject, but no one is promised tomorrow.  We hope for tomorrow, but we may not get there.  So what?  What would you do?  

     So many don't have the chance to say "I love you", before they go.  So many are bitter and hateful and unforgiving.  So many people are alone.  Some suffer many years without help.  Would you tell people you love them?  Would you put away your bitterness, hatefulness, and forgive others?  Would you go to those who are lonely and are suffering?  Would you show them Jesus as you live out your last breath?  Today for many is a celebration of leaving the old year behind, with the trials and triumphs that has gone before, and looking toward a brand new beginning that may or may not come to fruition.

     If I had a chance on my last day, I would visit everyone I could.  If I could, I would do something new that I never tried before.  If I could, I would share Jesus in my actions and not just my words.  I would show love, the love that Jesus showed.  If I could, I would even share Jesus in a letter to the president or maybe even to those who have hurt me or others.  I would even write letters to my favorite celebrities and tell them about the One Who loves them.  If I could, I would hold my kids again.  I would think I would do all I could for the people I love.

     If we do wake up tomorrow on January 1, 2015, and if we are given another year, why not do all those things?  Why wait until it may be too late, because in reality, we don't know when our last day will be.  We need to say "I love you" more.  We need less bitterness and hatefulness, and more forgiveness.  We need to visit the lonely and suffering, while we have the chance!  2015 might just be the year of love, forgiveness and hope.  Or it may just be 365 more dull and dreary days.  It's my choice and yours.  How will you live?  What choices will you make?

No comments:

Post a Comment